Wednesday, January 02, 2008

One Giant Leap


As I drove past the Temple of Justice today, I saw something that made me gasp, shout, screech to a halt, and make a quick U-turn. I had to see it again.
Could it be true?
It was!

The phrase I have detested ever since I could read was being hacked off the face of the building, letter by letter. LET JUSTICE BE DONE TO ALL MEN is, at long last, being rearranged to say LET JUSTICE BE DONE TO ALL.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to leap for joy. I wanted to twirl around like Fraulein Maria and sing ''The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music.'' What I did do was smile and praise the construction supervisor as if it were his idea to make the change.

No small steps here - This is one giant step for women, and one giant leap for Liberia. Many of our country's problems boil down to a poor justice system. Why the regular mob violence? Why the rampant corruption? Why the reluctance of victims to prosecute criminals? Why the lack of respect for laws and for authority figures? Why the exploitation of the poor? Why the disregard for human rights? Because there is, usually, no justice for ordinary citizens and no consequences when one violates a law. Of course, this new phrase won't automatically change things, but language is powerful, and this change in wording is a step in the right direction. When the renovated building is unveiled it will show (visually) that we recognize the need for a change, that we are striving for a change, and that we are actually moving forward toward this end. LET JUSTICE BE DONE TO ALL will say this is a new Liberia - one that includes and protects its women and girls, and that is fair to the poor, as well as to the rich.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

It is really a giant leap for Liberia,Elma. Liberia's success really depends on her justice system. Thanks Elma and please continue with pictures about development in Liberia.

luihamu said...

Its my first time to here,its my first time to open your blog and iam happy,you do good job for Africa.You know when i tthink of Liberia i always think about GOERGE WEAR.Iam from Tanzania and i blog in Swahili.www.luihamu-rastafarina.blogspot.com

Dr. G said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. It's amazing! By the way,I have on my blog, as one of the useful links, your blog. Good luck!

blackstone said...

Great blog, i wish you would continue to post sister!

And your right, no matter how small that change in phrase may seem, it is a mighty step for equality for all, men and women.

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

~I am a friend of Earlinda's, and she always speaks so highly of you. I read a few of your articles, and now I know why.

elle* said...

Thanks for your comments everyone, and thanks, saki, for linking my blog. Nigerian Drama Queen, I just read the recent posts on your blog and was loving it. I, too, lived in Paris when I was 20 and I could totally relate...praying to get into Keur Samba, disowning embarrasing friends on the metro, the haute couture shows (I went to see a new Givenchy line), and traveling around Europe on my Eurail Pass. I'll definitely keep reading you, and maybe we'll meet someday through Earlinda. And blackstone...now that my novel is soon going to the printer's, I vow to get back to blogging :-)

Anonymous said...

Elma - good to see that you are back online. I am an avid reader of your blog and missed your postings.

Anonymous said...

...thank you for your balanced insight.

Kerrie said...

What a great post and thanks for the picture! I am happy to have found your blog!

Anonymous said...

Is there any way to get some of Alfreda Socar's dolls online? The ones in your photograph are spectacular!

Anonymous said...

You are a great daughter of our beloved country, Elma. i was too delighted when i stumbled uppon your blog. i never realise we still had women of substance. Your work has assured me a greatr deal. Keep it up.
Johnson/Ghana